Working as a freelance graphic/web designer.
What is freelancing?
I am currently work as a part-time freelance graphic/web designer, out of normal office hours. Freelancing can be described as doing particular work for different companies/ organisations, rather than working for a single company/organisation.
Plan your Business
It is advisable to think of the following when deciding on becoming a freelancer, in order to come up with a good business plan:
- Who is your target market?
- Can they afford your services?
- How much do you need to live comfortably?
- Will you be freelancing full-time or part-time?
- Do you have enough contacts and potential clients at the moment?
Disadvantages of freelancing
Being a freelancer is a fulfilling career choice, but there are many ups and downs of freelancing. It is definitely not suited for everybody. As a freelancer, it is very important to use good business sense.
- There is not always a steady income and you will have good months and bad months, it is advisable to save to be able to make it through the bad months.
- You need to distinguish between your work time and personal time. This is often the most difficult part of freelancing, for those who get distracted easily should think of using a shared working space but just setting aside work hours can work for many.
- There is a lot more work needed to get projects and clients. You have to market yourself and go out and get clients.
Software/Applications to make freelance life easier.
If you want to charge a per an hour rate, it is advisable to use a time tracker. My favourite time tracker is Toggl and the best part is that it is free.
One of my favourite task manager application, by far is Things, this is a paid application but I personally think it is worth the cost.
One of the worst parts of freelancing for me is the bookkeeping and invoicing. An application that will make life easier is Wave. Wave is a fully-features invoicing and accounting software that is free.
For running social media, I swear by HootSuite. HootSuite is a social media management tool that allows you to schedule posts for your social media. The best part is that HootSuite is free if you run less than 5 social media platforms.